The Acclaim Cometh
11 May 2006
  It drives!
May 7, 2005, the Acclaim moved under it's own power for the first time since I've owned it.

I spent the afternoon at Parts Galore, my favorite junkyard, finally yanking the axle shafts out of a forlorn '86 Daytona Turbo Z that I had earlier rejected because I thought the boots didn't look perfect. As it turned out, the axle shafts are in good shape, and even though that Daytona was a 5-speed car, they bolted right up (including the intermediate shaft) with nary a problem. I bolted the front suspension all back together, fired up the engine, and took it for a ride!

Of course, there are issues.
I just got the wiper motor and washer pump hooked up tonight, and managed to get that all working properly. The wiper blades need fresh refills, of course, but that's pretty minor.

Slowly, this thing's turning into a real car, and I can see where things are becoming very, very positive. Yes, there are some technical issues, and some of them might involve some work to fix, but for the sort of transplant I've done here, I expected some issues. Remember, "they" said a newbie shouldn't attempt to put a turbo into a non-turbo car, it was too difficult, and I've done it.

I've verified that the turbo wastegate moves freely, and the canister solenoid actuates when pressure is applied (not vacuum!) I've got the ignition timing set as best I can figure without a timing light; I've tuned it so I get maximum vacuum at idle; around 15-16PSI.

So, I'm on my way. I'm not done by a long shot, but it was very gratifying to drive the car. Now to make it run well and reliably...


 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
The trials and tribulations of an MMLer as he builds a turbocharged Acclaim from a $50 derelict.

ARCHIVES
August 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / October 2006 /


Powered by Blogger