The Acclaim Cometh
23 October 2006
  A413 trans rebuild part 1 - removal
Saturday, after a very long delay waiting for funds and time, I finally tore the transmission back out of the Acclaim in order to rebuild it. It turned out that the no-upshift issue I mentioned back in May was really a failed seal in the transmission. After a lot of playing around with the valve body, I finally broke down and obtained a gauge and did a diagnosis using the line pressure test ports on the front of the unit, and realized that pressure dropped to zero almost as soon as I would put it into gear. So this past summer was spent on other projects while I did research and gathered opinions about what I might do.

Finally I got things back underway, though and yanked it out on Saturday. Some thoughts on removing this trans:
So some words to the wise about stuff you need to do this the way I did:
  1. An engine crane or cherry picker. I got mine used for $60 -- I think they're around $140 new at places like Harbor Freight. If the roof in your garage has exposed rafters, you might get by with a come-along, although I'm sure glad I don't have to do it that way. For one thing, you'd probably have to remove the hood to use a come-along, while the engine crane will just sneak right in under the hood. After I got the transmission out, I backed up the crane a few inches and attached the chain to the main ground point on the driver's side of the cylinder head to support the engine--which hung in there just fine on the two remaining engine mounts while I removed the trans. I don't think you need to have any special support for the engine while removing the trans-- for a short term, it apparently is well enough supported on the front and passenger side mounts that it isn't going anywhere.
  2. I think the transmission jacks that support the trans from underneath would be a lot more difficult to use. I attached the crane's chain using the bolt-hole on the top of the bellhousing, just to the right and slightly below the timing window. It isn't the largest bolt on the transmission, but it supported it with no sign of strain.
  3. Get yourself a 15mm ratcheting box-end wrench for that starte bolt!! Check out Sears item #00942596000 Mfr. model #42596, or #00947819000 Mfr. model #9115 -- either one of these will do the job.
  4. Jack stands. Must have. No excuses.
  5. I am fortunate enough to have air tools to use, including a pneumatic ratchet and an impact gun. It makes the business of removing some of those big 18mm engine-trans bolts or the 15mm sway-bar bolts a piece of cake. If you don't have this luxury, invest in a good quality 1/2" breaker bar.
  6. A 'rough service' bulb for my trouble light. I drop my trouble light. A lot. I would've replaced at least three standard lightbulbs after that thing hit the floor just while pulling the trans alone. Worth the $1.99 at Autozone. If buying online, consider http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/slp60016.html
  7. Have lots of oil dry handy, in case you do what I did, which was not moving the drain pan far enough away from underneath the trans when I actually dropped it down. Yep...most of the fluid I had so carefully drained ended up on the floor anyway. Yuck.
The patient sits on my bench awaiting surgery.
Yes, it's purple, that's the color my kids picked when I cleaned it up to install it...



 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
The trials and tribulations of an MMLer as he builds a turbocharged Acclaim from a $50 derelict.

ARCHIVES
August 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / October 2006 /


Powered by Blogger